5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: lukeD (offline)  Friday, March 01 2013 @ 06:03 AM EST (Read 5196 times)  

Hi,

I'm testing ssoperations locally on a Windows XP box, without GPO. I just need it to run a script.
So I configured it through the interface and it works great when I start the screensaver preview, but not when the screensaver is launched automatically by the system. I get the ssoperations pop-up and countdown, but instead of launching the script it just disapears and nothing happens. It also work when I lauch it manually by double-clicking the *.scr file, just not when windows launches it.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I also tried just launching notepad.exe and the behavior is the same.
I tried both 1.3 and 1.4-beta.

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

lukeD

By: lukeD (offline)  Friday, March 01 2013 @ 09:09 AM EST  

I did more digging and found that notepad.exe actually get's launched for a split second and then disappears together with the ssoperations pop-up.

It works fine on Windows 7 though.

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

lukeD

By: Seker (offline)  Saturday, March 09 2013 @ 12:15 AM EST  

I wonder if the child process the screensaver is calling gets killed along with the screensaver when it closes. I will set up an XP VM to test this out. Thanks for doing some troubleshooting.

-mike

Forum Admin
Admin

Seker

By: kmickeletto (offline)  Friday, June 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM EDT  

Just checking to see if you were able to come up with a resolution on this. I am getting the exact issues described above, with Windows XP. Windows 7 machines work fine. We are still migrating from XP and will be for at least the next year... This application works wonderfully, I just need it to work on WinXP as well...

Thanks so much!

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

kmickeletto

By: Seker (offline)  Friday, June 28 2013 @ 12:01 AM EDT  

Finally got an XP virtual machine set up for testing...

I believe I have found a workaround to the issue of Windows XP closing the child process of the screensaver. Since in this case the screensaver runs in a Job Object when it's called after being idle, I was able to check the version of Windows and if it's in the 5.0 - 5.2 range (2000, XP, 2003) it will now launch the new process detached from the screensaver so it doesn't close along with it. Windows doesn't run the screensaver as a Job Object when run using the 'Preview' button or manually so that's why it works when not started by the idle timeout. I do find it interesting, though, that newer versions of Windows don't have this issue (at least with Windows 7 & Windows 8... I have not tested with Vista).

The new code is already in place and will be in the next release 1.5.

Forum Admin
Admin

Seker

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1