7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: tigerweld (offline)  Monday, December 03 2012 @ 04:33 PM EST (Read 7739 times)  

Created a gpo for the screen saver and dropped three workstations in the OU. All workstations are Windows 7. Two of the three is 32 bit and they work like a champ. The 64 bit one does not work at all. If I click preview the screen saver works, but if I wait for the timeout nothing happens. I've created the wow6432Node reg. Here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\GrimAdmin.com\Screensaver Operations]
"EWX_ExitFlag"=dword:00000004
"RunProcessEnabled"=dword:00000000
"DelayInSeconds"=dword:0000000a
"DisableSpecialKeys"=dword:00000001
"RunProcessPath"=""
"RunProcessArguments"=""
"MessageFontSize"=dword:00000009
"GradientColorLeft"="#054E85"
"GradientColorRight"="#287182"

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

tigerweld

By: Admin (offline)  Friday, December 07 2012 @ 12:14 AM EST  

When you say you wait for the timeout and nothing happens, do you mean that the screensaver never turns on after however many minutes you have it set to or nothing happens after the screensaver counts down from 10 seconds (according to your registry settings)? If it never turns on, it's possible your power settings are preventing the screensaver from loading.

Also, be aware that by default anything set under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE will only set the defaults for a user. Anything under HKEY_CURRENT_USER will take precedence unless you set the "LocalMachineOverride" value to 1. Enabling this setting causes MACHINE settings (HKLM) to take precedence over USER settings (HKCU).

Forum Admin
Admin

Admin

By: ITGTrevor (offline)  Thursday, December 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM EST  

I'm also having trouble getting it to work in Win7 64bit.
Sometimes the screensaver doesn't pop up at all (I cannot reproduce the problem with other screensavers)
All of the time (and only with Win8 64bit) whenever I ask it to force a reboot, shut down, or turn off then it throws this error message (attached) but it does fine in test mode and when it is just log off.

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

ITGTrevor

Pennsylvania
By: Admin (offline)  Saturday, December 29 2012 @ 01:16 AM EST  

Hard to say about the first issue without more details.

As for the second issue with the .NET DLL error, I haven't done any testing with Windows 8 yet, but could you try to see if you have system file corruption by running the System File Checker -> "C:\windows\system32\SFC /scannow"?

Forum Admin
Admin

Admin

By: tysone (offline)  Thursday, January 24 2013 @ 05:15 PM EST  

I've been having the same issue. It appears that the "Force a specific screen saver" GPO setting looks in C:\windows\system32 by default for the .scr. You can override this by using the full path "c:\windows\syswow64\Screensaver Operations.scr" as the screensaver definition, however this will break functionality on 32-bit versions. This does not help me in a mixed environment. Making a seperate GPO for 32-bit and 64-bit versions is a kludge, and a PITA. Is there any way to force the MSI to install the 32-bit version on 64-bit machines?

Forum Grim Hatchling
Grim Hatchling

tysone

By: Admin (offline)  Sunday, February 03 2013 @ 04:35 PM EST  

You can't change the location with the MSI without a transform (feel free to use Orca or the free version of InstEd to make a transform). Otherwise you can use the standalone version of the SCR file and copy the file there manually, but it may not run right on 64-bit machines if it's in the system32 folder.

The next release will be able to run 64-bit and 32-bit natively, so no more messing with the WoW32 registry or folder locations (though the old registry locations will work for backwards compatibility so your settings don't break if you upgrade). I just need to do some more testing and also put in some of the feature requests. If anyone wants, I can upload a beta version of the SCR with native 64-bit compatibility ahead of the official release. Just let me know and I'll post it to this forum (without an installer).

Forum Admin
Admin

Admin

By: Admin (offline)  Thursday, February 07 2013 @ 12:07 AM EST  

The newest beta is now available. It includes native 64-bit execution, hibernate and standby options from the action menu, and a couple other features that have been requested. It’s available on our forums here.

Forum Admin
Admin

Admin

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1